Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sewing Cabinet #4, really?

In Exhibit #1 is the sewing cabinet and chair I purchased at Goodwill yesterday. This is a quick photo documentation. I hope I will get a few more minutes to proof the “journal entries.” In the meantime, I hope you can decipher my quick notes.
I am in love with this brass pull and the fine little wood details.
However it is missing the drawer...
I visualize turning the front into three drawers.

The cabinet sans machine and lid. But it still had most of the accessories to house and store a machine.

I love the dainty little turned legs. Very colonialisque

This is the needlepoint chair that could not be left behind at Goodwill.
The manager was kind enough to pair them together and reduce the price to $29.99 for the pair.
They were meant to be together.
So I sanded it and painted the whole inside with some oil-rubbed bronze it is a oil-based metallic stainish paint. I figure it should kill off the old stinky sitting around smell.
The outside got a yummy coat of Benji Moore’s Yarmouth--very similar to Restoration Hardware’s Silver Sage. Also a little wood to cover the missing drawer.
But it needed more than paint. It needed to be distressed. So I added some stain.
This is where I ended this afternoon. I wish you could see the true color.

I’m excited to add the hardware back. And add new hardware to the other side. I haven’t had any luck of finding a match of the ring pull online yet.

It am definitely going to have to cut a new top. None of my machines fit into the opening. Bummer.

Don’t you think it would make a darling little vanity? I will have to work on that later. In the meantime, I have to figure out how to cover up the hole.

And this is what I came home to after my late primary meeting.  Ben had figured out how to cover up the hole.  He turned it into a little computer desk while I was away.  Apparently, he had to sit at the table at the backside because he needed more real estate for his mouse.  It is a good idea...just not good enough.  :)

No comments: